The Project for Reform in the Education of Muslim Children (PEM) is a product of a new strategy of the Greek State for the Minority of Thrace, which began in the nineties. Consistent with this new strategy, the Project has the following basic goals:
- Integrating Minority children smoothly into the Greek society through the educational system
- Improving and enhancing the education they receive, with emphasis on their achieving fluency in Greek, which would help them in their future integration into the workforce under better conditions.
- Making sure that the ethnic identity of the minority children is respected equally by the educational personnel and the majority population
- Providing the educators both with special knowledge and with appropriate and cutting-edge educational material.
- Supporting the families so that they could help children improve their performance at school.
Enhancing the education of Minority children, and offering equal educational opportunities for their integration into the society as first-class citizens of Greece and the European Union, does not only concern the Minority, but it contributes more generally to the progress of Thrace and the entire Greek society as well.
The general approach of the Project (PEM), that guides its efforts to contribute since 1997 to a better education for Minority children is summarized by its motto: "Addition, not Subtraction / Multiplication, not Division